Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Change

So, it has been way too long since I last blogged. My topic this evening and that has been on my mind lately is change. Immediately upon writing that word a song pops into my head (shocking I know): You know a change, change, would do you good, a change would do you good. Why am I thinking about change? Because my life is full of it.
In July, I moved across the hall into a single room because frankly, I wanted more privacy and a place to retreat to, instead it mostly became a place for me to hide out from the world and eat my feelings and emotions. I would come back from work, plop in front of the TV with whatever random food I had for dinner and sometimes do homework. That is where I would stay until I went to bed, without interacting with anyone except the people on my computer screen (an occasionally yelling at the TV). Needless to say, when school started I had come to a point of craving other people and when new students began to move in, I clung to them like they were the remedy to my new found addiction of loneliness and self-indulgence. However, that could only last so long. I am someone who needs time alone to refresh and re-energize and with all the people who had latched onto me as well, I began to feel smothered and longed to once again be able to retreat to my safe and secure crutch of food and solitude. However, even those were to be removed as food was now making me so sick I couldn't sleep or move and solitude was a thing of the past with the constant stream of people wanting to hang out with me and be with me (even if only for the cable). So I began to search for a happy medium. With a new confidence from my shorter hair and an idea that was coming to fruition, I realized that in order to have solitude and yet fellowship, I needed to get away from my life on campus. Once it became sure that Bekah would be moving back to the area, we began a search for somewhere to live. Although there are things that make living on campus attractive, there are benefits to being at a distance from the constant flow of people and having the ability to still have someone who will keep me from isolating myself. So, although my life is full of changes and others may wonder why, I can say that for myself, a change truly will do me good.

No comments: